Thursday, June 9, 2011

Anime Review #1: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing




Sounds ironic, doesn't it? Why do I have two Gundam Wing characters in my title picture when I haven't even finished the show? Honestly, I didn't finish the series when I made this blog. But by now, I finally finished all 49 episodes, and even the movie, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz.



Being my first mecha series ever, this is the first Gundam show I decided to rewatch from my childhood years. I thought it was overall a great series, but here are my scores overall for the show itself.



Characters/Cast: 10/10



Unbelievable, I must say... The character development was simply amazing, especially displayed by main character Heero Yuy, and supporting characters Quatre Winner and Relena Peacecraft. Gundam Wing has a wide cast of likeable characters (though not everyone,) and reveals a lot of thrilling twists and triumphs by them. Out of every anime I've seen so far, the cast of this series would top my list.



Plot/Storyline: 8/10



While I did enjoy the plot of the story, it didn't exactly seem too original. Nostalgia from war films in the past, including Star Wars and Saving Private Ryan, made me believe Gundam Wing's theme of peace is not very original. The complications within the plot made the series much better, in my opinion. I give it an 8 out of 10.



Atmosphere: 8/10



Everything about Gundam Wing was amazing, don't get me wrong. However, it just wasn't entirely my type... Many people will love this kind of anime, but just me, personally, I found it a little too dark and found it hard to understand the plot from time to time. It was hard for me to keep up with the events in the show, which I didn't particularly enjoy. Ultimately, though, I'm glad the finale wrapped up all ends together, which I believe is still great.



Overall: 8.7/10


_________________________________



Have I mentioned Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz? That movie was absolutely amazing. I enjoyed it more than the series, itself, actually. It was a thrilling conclusion to Gundaim Wing, and that makes me proud to say this series is one of my favorites of the 90's.



Though, now it's time to watch/rewatch another anime from the 90's. From what I've been thinking, between Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun. Want to vote on which one I should go with? Feel free too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment