Saturday, June 18, 2011

Anime Review #3: Tenchi Universe





This post now refers to Tenchi Universe, a non-canon spinoff of Tenchi Muyo!



Characters/Cast: 6/10




Unlike Tenchi Muyo, I didn't really find so much change in the characters, in fact many of them were watered down. Ryoko, Washu, Ryo-Ohki, and Sasami were all much better in the OVA series, in my opinion. Mihoshi and Ayeka were much more likeable in the OVA series, too. Kiyone was an acceptable character, too. Tenchi remained the same, a static character throughout the whole series. Well, maybe a little dynamic because he seemed to have changed a little in the end. Before I go into spoilers, I'll give this a fair rating.



Plot/Storyline: 8/10



Tenchi Universe had much more action than Tenchi Muyo, which is why I believe Tenchi Universe is more popular. The action side of the show was actually pretty good, the entire universe vs Tenchi and the gang. Plus, Kagato, a villain from the first OVA of Tenchi Muyo, had more personality and a better motif in Tenchi Universe. The first and third movies of Tenchi are based around Universe, and both were great animated films.



Atmosphere: 8/10



Just for me, Tenchi Universe didn't have the everlasting effect on me like Tenchi Muyo did. It had a really good feel while watching the show, and it offered the same elements as Tenchi Muyo did. It just wasn't as terrific, as there were so many changes from the original OVA series that I prefer. Perhaps a little more faithfulness to the canon Tenchi Muyo would have made it better.



Overall: 7.3/10



_____________________________




Obviously, I'm rather biased towards the Tenchi Muyo OVA series, and I apologize for that. Some other Tenchi fans I know of don't like Tenchi Universe as much, either, due to the lacking of the elements loved in the original. I'm rather pleased, though, that Tenchi Universe is praised for the show itself, and not the god-like cast. I really do recommend it to anime lovers, a classic harem show.

No comments:

Post a Comment