Thursday, June 16, 2011

Anime Review #2: Tenchi Muyo!



This post only applies to the original OVA series, not Tenchi Universe or Tenchi in Tokyo. Also, I actually finished watching Tenchi Muyo! before Gundam Wing, and it's only now I'm making this post.


Characters/Cast: 8/10


I'm rather mixed on the characters of Tenchi Muyo! It had a set of likeable characters for me, such as Tenchi Masaki, Ryoko, Sasami, Ryo-Ohki, Washu, and Nobuyuki Masaki. There were quite a few characters I didn't enjoy, too, such as Ayeka and Mihoshi, which made the show a little annoying. However, leaning towards the good characters, even then they were all static characters, showing not much development throughout the OVA series. It's a comedy anime, and I think it's well justified why not, so I'll give it this rating.


Plot/Storyline: 7/10


As a comedy anime, it's really not supposed to have much of a plot. But when the show did get rather serious in the later episodes of the series', I still wasn't too impressed by the situation. In the first two series' of the OVA, the serious part of the story wasn't too impressive, as it is really just saving the kidnapped girl, Ryoko, both times. The third OVA was great, though, with Z and the plot to destroy the universe. On the serious part of Tenchi Muyo!, I give it a 7 all in all.


Atmosphere: 10/10


A lot of great laughs and drama was present in the show, and I absolutely loved it. One can really picture themselves in a situation like Tenchi (especially for the boys) and feel delighted. The show had a really good mixture of comedy, the harem genre, and sci-fi action which made the show into a masterpiece. It's fun for many anime lovers to enjoy.


Overall: 8.3/10

______________________


A fun anime, and probably one of my first while growing up. Sometimes, however, I believe it gets attention for the wrong reason. If you've seen all of OVA 3, people highly praise the anime for having characters stronger than those of Dragonball Z, having the potential of being a god (Tsunami, Light Hawk Wings, Tokimi, Kami Tenchi, etc). Honestly, I think it's rather stupid, because to be a Tenchi Muyo! fan, I believe you have to love every part of the show, not just the dark half of it.


Yu Yu Hakusho won the poll for what I should watch next! I'm currently enjoying it so far! :)

2 comments:

  1. I really love the concept that Tenchi Muyo's universe has. It has the outerspace elements mixed with traditional Japanese elements, as well as nature itself (like the trees), all somewhat related to Japanese mythology. That's really neat if you ask me!

    Oh, and the theme song to Tenchi Muyo is kickass! No lyrics, but that's part of what makes it one of the best anime theme songs ever imo. :D

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN1YYyR5jD4


    Tenchi Muyo is also an excellent example imo of 90s anime animation at it's best. It is very beautifully drawn, without the need of too much cgi.

    For me, Tenchi Muyo is one of the very few harem anime ever done right. One of the biggest weaknesses to harem anime is that most of the characters can't "think," which is annoying to watch. -__- Tenchi doesn't fall into this problem as it truly has multi-dimensional characters that can think, and understand one another.

    So overall, Tenchi Muyo's excellent execution in writing, it's colorful, very likable, and complex cast of characters, and it's fantastical elements all make a great combination, making this anime awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know there is another Tenchi Muyo! fan out there! I agree with about everything you said, Fantasy Leader. Two new posts of Tenchi Universe and an additional talk about the OVA series will be coming up.

    ReplyDelete